Thursday 19 March 2015

A Date with George Clooney

What price do you put on happiness?  If you had asked me this question last week, I wouldn’t have a clue.  This week, I can tell you down to the penny.

All around me women are smiling, talking about shoes, hair, makeup and new dresses.  Being honest I can’t take all the credit, this goes to the one and only Mr George Clooney.  Little did he realise that when he accepted an invitation to come to Edinburgh, that it would turn my life and that of many others upside down.

My story starts just 7 days ago with an innocent comment “I see George Clooney is visiting a sandwich shop in Edinburgh”.  My wife leapt from her chair with the grace of a gazelle and subjected me questions which the Spanish inquisition would be proud of.  Within minutes, she had found out everything about the coming visit, barring George’s planned toilet breaks. 

It turns out George is not only an Oscar-winning actor, director and Hollywood living legend, but also a committed humanitarian.  His visit to Edinburgh coincides with raising awareness for his charity “Not on Our Watch” which he co-founded with Brad Pitt, Don Cheadle and Matt Damon. As if I didn't have enough to live up to.

Skip forward a bit and I find myself on the phone, bank card in hand being reassured by the nice man that the content of my bank account is going to a good cause.  My brain awakens from the fog to screams of joy from my wife.  I had agreed to buy:

  • 1 Table for 10 people at the Scottish Business Awards (Read dinner with George)
  • 3 Course meal for 10 people (Who are already swapping diet tips for the big night)
  • VIP photo-line with George and other celebrities (Read snogging)
  • Champagne reception for all (They really won’t need it)

Of course if you ask Nataly, she will tell you all about her dinner date with George.  I have suddenly become very popular at home and with the rest of the women at work.  Whether it lasts until George visits in November we will see.  So what price do I put on happiness.  Well I could tell you, but looking at my wife’s smile, it’s priceless.

Stephen

P.S. Watch this space for more updates on "Dinner with George"

1 comment: